Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Music

While watching American Idol tonight, as one of the guest performers "Flo Rida" was performing, it really dawned on me how embarrassed I am that this is the music of my generation. I mean, one can argue that the music of my generation was more late 90's, like 'No Doubt' type stuff, but really, it's all been crap, and music is one of the many aspects of my life which sometimes makes me feel like I was born in the wrong generation.

There is good music out there even today. There really is. It's just really hard to find, and it takes a conscious effort. There's Death Vessel, There's Ben Folds, there are the Mountain Goats, there's Ben Kweller, Rilo Kiley, Belle and Sebastian and Kimya Dawson. Even some of the popular artists have some good songs out there. I admire a Regina Spektor song here and there, I love my Christina Aguilera, and I'm quite a MIKA fan these days, too.

It just sucks that the popular music, the stuff our generation will be remembered for, is so damned terrible. Just the name 'flo rida' is embarassing. I suppose it's some play on Florida, or I at least hope so.

This 'Flo' character took parts from 'You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive, and those were the only decent parts of the song and the rest was all crappy rapping. I hate it. I truly do. I hate the radio, and I hate riding in the car with people who listen to the radio, because you can't do anything about it because it's their car, and they're giving you a ride, but the radio really sucks and it's all of the same songs over and over and 9 times out of 10 the songs are freaking terrible.

This is why I submerse myself in the bands I have already mentioned as well as The Beatles, Wings, AC/DC, Steve Miller Band, and a few other classics. What has happened to music? To even call this generation's music by that name is to stretch the word to the very edge of its meaning.

Also, completely off topic, this is so cool and everyone should watch it. Alex showed it to me just a few minutes ago.

Here's the link if you have a webcam and want to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment