Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You know what movie was lame? Coraline.


Yeah, you heard me. I *wince*did not like Coraline.

Why is everyone going so nuts over this film? What's so gosh darned special about it?
To answer my own rhetorical question, the animation. I will so super give them that. The animation was beautiful, it was very aesthetically pleasing, and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the movie.

However, that was about the end of the entertainment value road for me. Coraline in short: "We're moving to a new house! I met a boy! There's a weird tunnel to an alternate world! Buttons! WHAT?! GHOST CHILDREN? EVIL MOTHER? WE NEED TO GET EYEBALLS! WE GOT THE EYEBALLS!? WE DID?! Okay good."

The plot was so disjointed, and the movie moved so slowly at first, showing us the alternate world and making us wonder what was up...then everything was THROWN at us! Bethany and I were left with so many questions.

Why was the mother the evil one? They were both deadbeat parents, so why did the mother turn into an evil villain, while the dad just ended up being all weird but not really evil?

Did this story actually have a moral? Other than: "if your parents suck, maybe you should crawl through a tunnel to an alternate world at your new house, and you'll have a newfound love for them." That really got me- her parents suck, and in the end really, they're still going to be the same crappy parents who don't pay attention to her...did they undergo some kind of transformation?

Where was the character development? How did she go from exchanging about 5 minutes worth of words with Wybie to being his best friend in the end?

Beth and I were antsy the whole time, both seeming to wonder when it was going to 'get good' and when we were going to become sucked into this magical world ourselves. It never really happened.

In the end, I'd say this movie was visually stimulating with some cute moments, but to be honest, it was really lacking, and the 3D aspect was its saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment